Bending your arms with dumbbells while sitting is a key fitness exercise that helps build muscle mass and aesthetic form of biceps. This simple load can be performed by both a novice specialist and an already experienced professional. Doing this exercise, you can work with one hand or two at the same time, use different weight and techniques.
There are also different variants of execution: with a turn of a dumbbell at the top point, without a turn and with support on a specially designed bench. It is impossible to unequivocally say which of the options is right for you. The trainer is often advised to try each view and with properly defined tasks, you will quickly realize that you are closer.
Primary Muscles : Biceps
Additional muscles : shoulder muscles
Technique of the exercise
- Take dumbbells in each hand in advance. Sit on the bench, lean your back on a specially designed vertical support, if it is not a horizontal bench. Next, lower your arms straight with the dumbbells as low as possible.
- Raise dumbbells with light movements of your hands forward and up. The elbows should be as motionless as possible.
- Bending your arms with dumbbells, rotate the hands so that your palms are looking up at the top point.
- Raise the dumbbells to your extreme height, and maximally strain your biceps muscles.
- Smooth movement lower the dumbbells to the starting position.
Number of repetitions: 3-5 sets of 12 repetitions.
Tips for correct execution
- Do not swing your body and keep your back level while you are doing it. All movements can occur only in the elbow joints.
- While lifting dumbbells, you should hold your breath, then your posture will remain more even, discomfort will go away in the back, and your biceps will work more intensively.
- If you do the flexing of the arms with the dumbbells at the same time, it will help to achieve faster results, the biceps will develop simultaneously.
- In order not to get tired quickly, you should take a light weight dumbbell.
- Heavy dumbbells provoke the movement of elbows, therefore, the center of gravity shifts and as a result it is not possible to achieve the desired result.
- No need to throw up the dumbbells up – the efficiency is reduced, thus, and the load on the biceps is weakened.
This exercise is used by athletes, gymnasts, people involved in climbing, fighters, tennis players and all who find it important that the flexor muscles are perfectly developed and incredibly strong.